More about the towns in Walker
the county seat of Walker County was named in honor of Sergeant
William Jasper, a Revolutionary War Soldier. The town was
settled in 1815, but was not incorporated until 1888. The first
significant growth of the area was realized in 1886, when the
Kansas City-Memphis and Birmingham and the Sheffield and
Birmingham railroads were completed through Jasper. The
population grew from 200 people in 1886 to more than 3,000 in
1890. In a special edition of an 1891 The Mountain Eagle, it was
stated that there were 400 coke ovens in operation, six coal
mines, one foundry and machine shop, two saw mills, one brick
work, two sand stone quarries, four hotels and two banks. The
population of Jasper is estimated to be 14, 026.
Other Walker County towns flourished because of coal, timber
industries and the location of railroads just before the turn of
the 20th century. The population of Walker County is estimated
to be 69,849 persons.
Carbon Hill, settled in 1886
because of coal mining and the railroad, is joined today by
manufacturing and agriculture industries. The population today
Cordova, originally called Dent, began when people settled along
the Warrior River around 1882. In 1890, a large cotton mill was
built, providing employment for nearly 500 people. The
population in 1990 census was 2,623.
Dora, originally called Horse Creek,
located in a valley through which the Kansas City-Memphis
and Birmingham Railroad was built in 1886, was a whistle
stop-watering point called Sharon. Today, the city is primarily
engaged in commerce along U.S. Highway 78. The population in the
1990 census was 2,214.
Eldridge, was originally called
Camp Springs, an Indian camp site. With the completion of the
Bylff Road it became a stage coach stop. The town incorporated
in 1970 and today has a population of 225.
Kansas, located in the extreme
western portion of the county, was a stop on the Burlington
Northern Railroad. Today it has a population of 320
Nauvoo, located in northwestern
Walker County, was earlier known as Ingle Mills until Tom
Carroll named it after Nauvoo, Illinois. The town was
established in 1888 because of the Northern Alabama Railway
construction. Population in 1990 was 240.
Oakman, one of the oldest towns in the county was called Day's
Gap and Marietta prior to 1895 when it was incorporated.
Population in 1990 was 846.
Parrish, originated as Hewitt, was
a post office served by the Pony Express and became the junction
of the Sheffield, Birmingham and Tennessee and the Georgia
Pacific Railroads. The population of Parrish is 1,433.
Sipsey, located on the banks of the
Warrior River, is the site of Warrior Town, an original Indian
settlement. The population in 1990 was 568.
Sumiton, was incorporated in 1952 and named because of its
location at one of the highest elevations in the county. Earlier
names included Commercial and Democrat. The 1990 population was