History of New Hope
Baptist Church and Cemetery
History of the Pleasant
History of the Leroy
Baptist Church of Boldo
HISTORY OF LIBERTY PRIMITIVE
(located near Sumiton,
The State of Alabama, Walker County, Alabama, whereas
application was made to us.
John M. Barton and James T. Calvert by persons where names
are here under assigned to form a presberty and constitute a church.
We therefore met on the 7th and 8th days of October 1854 at
the house of Brother Lindsey Thomas and after examining their
Letters of Dismission from their respective churches we found them
orthodox in Faith.
We therefore constituted them into a church known by the
name of Liberty Primitive Church.
Names of members in constitution
Sister Mary Thomas
Brother Lindsey Thomas
Brother George A. Sloan
Sister Rebecca Sloan
Brother E. G. Sloan
Brother Hersey Sloan
Brother Alexander Burns
The church being thus constituted then proceeded to
business. Open doors for reception of members. Appointed Brother E.
G. Sloan for clerk. Then adjourned presberty.
Elder John M. Barton
Elder James T. Calvert
Elder W. M. Gravlee, clerk
Liberty church moved from it's original location to a building near
the Corner community sometime around 1875. After some years they
moved the church near Robbins Crossroads. Later it was moved to
Linn's Crossing and they held services in a house. When the L & N
Railroad bought the property so that they might build a railroad on
that location the church had to move again. It was on Jan. 13, 1906
that Elder W. J. McCormack and his wife, Susan Malinda (Harden)
McCormack deeded land to build a new church. where the present day
Liberty Primitive Baptist Church now stands. Elder McCormick's
daughter, Emily Frances McCormack Hollis, was the first one buried
in McCormack Cemetery on June 24, 1899.
Compiled by Clarice Hollis
Submitted by Willie L. Barton