Cox grave, located T 21S, R 10W, S 21. This grave is on the hill east of the tennis courts of the Tuscaloosa Country Club. Surveyed by Greg and Charesa Hester, September 9, 2000.
Submitted by Greg and Chare Hester © Copyright 2000 Greg and Chare Hester All Rights Reserved
Comandr George Cox, U. S. Navy, no data
From The Tuscaloosa
News September 27, 1953, Commander George Cox, War of 1812 Veteran,
was moved 100 yards back from where he was buried in a tomb on the Country
Club grounds. He died 1826 and was buried on a knoll with many tall
pines and oaks so that these majestic trees "might be likened unto so many
admiral masts chanting an undying requiem over the grave of the merry old
soldier." He was a lieutenant by 1799 on the ship Constellation,
a sister ship of "Old Ironsides" or Constitution. He was from Maryland
and married a Mary Lynch Howy of Charleston, S.C. In 1929 the DAR
marked the tomb site.
This page is part of the USGenWeb Project - Tuscaloosa County, Alabama