The information for this page came from old microfilm records of unknown origin. Anyone wishing to add information concerning this church is encouraged to contact Betty Miller and Betty Phillips your hosts for Pickens County, AL. Typographical and transcription errors will be happily corrected, however, no alterations will be made to the original document, additional information will be added as submitter's notes or as additional informational material.
This church was located about sixteen miles west of Tuscaloosa in Pickens County, in the Davidson Settlement of Tuscaloosa County. Saturday, January 6th, 1838, Rev. Joseph B. Adams, organized this church. The fifteen charter members were:
|ALEXANDER||Wallis||ARCHIBALD||Sarah||LOVE||Alonzo F. A.|
Thomas H. Wier and William Archibald were elected as the first ruling elders of this church. Rev. William Williams was the first Pastor and served for eleven years.
The seats were arranged so the slaves would have a place to sit in the church.
Mr. Ninian Steel, a native of Iredell County, North Carolina, was one of the early member in 1839 and remained a member until his death, October 15, 1842, at the age of 62 years and his body was the first to be buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. One corner of this cemetery was reserved for the slaves.
Thomas H. Wier was the first clerk of the Church, until his death when Thomas W. Falls was elected to serve in that place. William Archibald was appointed to attend the Prebytery in Tuscaloosa, October 2, 1838. Rev. James Somerville succeeded Rev. Williams as pastor of this Church in 1850, where he served faithfully for twenty-nine years. Rev. Somerville was a great-uncle of Mrs. T. C. Border of Reform. The church building was well constructed and even the wooden pegs in the benches were in use one hundred and one years later.