The information for this page came from old microfilm records of unknown origin. Anyone wishing to add information concerning this church is encouraged to contact Betty Miller or Betty Phillips your hosts for Pickens County, AL. Typographical and transcription errors will be happily corrected, however, no alterations will be made to the original document, additional information will be added as submitter's notes or as additional informational material.
This church is said to have been the oldest congregation in Pickens County and was organized in 1823 at the Garden (Enon), then moved to Aliceville.
It's second organization was at Yorkville (now Aliceville), by Elder Jacob Crocker in 1829.
Then at Big Creek on January 10, 1829, with fourteen members, with Rev. Charles Stewart as pastor; first Deacons were Notley Gore and Dempsey White. In two months, the congregation had increased to twenty member - one - "a black woma, Melly". At that date, slaves were given the opportunity to attach themselves to that church. In the next ten years, there were thirty-four black members, out of the whold list of one hundred an dsixty four. In 1848 it was agreed to build a separate building for the black population. This church was the scene of a break in the Baptist denomination in 1837, the Missiouary Baptists continued in this church and the Hardshell Baptist established a new organization.
From the Big Creek Church, a Baptist church was organized in Carrollton in 1846 by Mrs. Candace Bostick, Mrs. Caroline Sherrod, Matthews Lyons and others.
The UNITY GROVE CHURCH was the place of the beginning of an Assembly known as "CAMP MEETING", where people from even newrby states have camped and held religious services for over fifty years.