The information for this page came from old microfilm records of unknown origin. Anyone wishing to add information concerning this church is encouraged to contact Betty Miller and/or Betty Phillips, your hosts for Pickens County, AL. Typographical and transcription errors will be happily corrected, however, no alterations will be made to the original document, additional information will be added as submitter's notes or as additional informational material. Anyone who has additional information that they wish to share can contact either Betty Miller or Betty Phillips.
The church was organized in 1879, during the ministry of the Rev. W. M. Ripper, 5 miles south of Aliceville, a few hundred yards east of the present Aliceville-Eutaw Highway. The church was named the Emory's Chapel and was on the Carrollton denominational circuit.
Another church, on the same circuit, was located at Olney, eight miles east of the present site of Aliceville.
In 1900 when the Rev. John W. Norton was pastor of the Circuit the two churches were town down, and the lumber taken to Bethany, sic miles southeast of Aliceville and a new church was constructed there. There had already been a Methodist congregation in Bethany, so the combined congregation formed a flourishing church which went by the name of Bethany and remained in the community for about six years.
In 1906, when the Rev. Samuel N. Burn was pastor, the church building in Bethany was sold and the congregation moved into Aliceville and constructed a new church, On Sunday, the 3rd. one in May 1909, Bishop H. C. Morrison preached the dedicatory (sic) sermon in the new church in Aliceville. In 1923, the Aliceville Methodist Church was taken into the Carrollton Circuit and made a full-time station. During the pastorate of the Rev. J. E. Jenkins, 1923-1927 an annex was added for Sunday School rooms.
In 1944 a builing fund was started for a new church building and manse. The first service in November 1948, was held in the new building which cost approximately $45,000.00.