USGenWeb logo
USGenWeb: AlGenWeb : County Index : Marion County
County Coordinators:  J. W. Johnson and Allison Saxman
Webmaster:  Allison Saxman

Home
Area Family Reunions
Cemetery Records
Census Records
Church Records
County History
1891 Voters' Registration
Joel Palmer Stories
Land & Deed Records
Lookups
Maps
Marion Newspaper Articles
Marion Co. Books
Marion Co. AL Tracks
Marion Genealogical Soc.
Marion Co. Images
Military Records
Misc Records
Mortality Schedules
Musgrove Store Ledger
Obituaries
Our Families Online
Other Links
Other Resources
Queries
Special Collections
Surnames
Unidentified Photos
Vital Records
Wills & Probate Recs

Nearby County Sites

Fayette Co. ALGenWeb
Franklin Co. ALGenWeb
Lamar County ALGenWeb
Walker Co. ALGenWeb
Winston Co. ALGenWeb
Itawamba Co. MSGenWeb
Monroe Co. 2 MSGenWeb


US GenWeb Archives button

The Alabama AlGenWeb Archives

Articles from 1976 Journal-Register Newspaper

Wiginton





The Journal-Record - Bicentennial Edition
Thursday, July 1, 1976
Section B, Page 8

TOWN OF WIGINTON WAS ONCE THROWN(sic) AS THE SMALLEST "BEAT" IN THE STATE

The town of Wiginton, a small 14 square mile beat located between
Hackleburg and Hodges, was at one time a booming town. Beat 19, as it is
shown on maps, is the smallest beat in Alabama.

Wiginton used to be a resting place for weary travelers who were headed
west s it was located on the Moulton to Iuka road.

In early days, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. FORD built a log cabin on the road, the
last residence for ten miles. Travelers soon heard of this tiresome ten
mile stretch, as it is still known today, and began stopping over at the
FORD cabin if it was near nightfall, and continuing on the next day.
Gradually travelers began to settle near the FORD cabin, thus the community
of Wiginton was born.

Sometime during the 1880's the first industry was started, this being a
sawmill. Later gins for ginning cotton were started. The first steam gin
was put in my Wash ALDEN. Prior to this gin, the gins were water powered,
by flowing water.

Since schooling was needed in the fast growing little community, the people
decided to put out an effort to establish a school. their efforts paid off
when a school was set up in a little one room cabin near Arland WIGINTON's
home. The first teacher, Elijah FORD, was paid an enormous salary of about
$15 per month.

Later on, the school was moved to the New Prospect Church, and then in 1904
moved to Mars Hill. After the later move, Miss Mattie FITE and Miss Ida
FITE held the teaching positions.

Other small towns in the area, Goddard, Lumbull and Hackleburg also had
students in the Mars Hill School.

In 1921 the school became a vocational school. This change came about when
Joel FORD, a college-educated teacher, decided to teach and farm at the
same time. At that time Wiginton and Hamilton were the only towns in the
entire county to have such schools. The school at Wiginton went only to the
11th grade. Students could then travel to Hamilton and attend school there
for one more year to complete their high school education. After this was
completed, they could attend two more years and get a college degree.

Mr. Ned WIGINTON, a store owner in the community, helped to set up a post
office, which was governmentally named Wiginton. After the post office was
established, Wiginton was incorporated, thus a mayor and alderman were
chose.

Wiginton, in the beginning, had no trained medical doctors. A few of the
local people used home remedies to aid sick resident. A Dr. GOGGANS was the
first man in the little town to have any medical training.

Now, the town of Wiginton has one store in operation. It is located beside
an old store building that is said to probably have been that of Ned
WIGINTON. The school that once was a lively building, how is gone, after
its last occupants have left. An old well, still covered with a wooden
canopy, stands out a short distance from the early store building. It was
once a bustling spot in the community where friends met and fellowshipped,
but now it too stands silently. Now, Wiginton is just Beat 19, the smallest
beat in Alabama.

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins.  Any commercial use, or other electronic posting of any files/pages without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.  All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions.  All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.

ALGenWeb is a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Send comments about the state project to: Richard White
Send comments about this page to:  Allison M. Saxman

DISCLAIMER NOTICE

USGENWEB and/or ALGENWEB makes no claims as to the validity of the information contained in this site and visitors are advised that each new piece of information should be researched and proved or disproved by weight of documented evidence. It is always best to consult the original material for verification.

The information posted to this site is the sole work and property of the submitter and/or the transcriber and has not been altered nor verified by the webmaster of this site. An effort has been made to give credit to all submitters and all documents that have been transcribed by the webmaster, other volunteers, or other individuals that submit information for posting to the site.

2002- 2009 by Allison M. Saxman & J.W. Johnson