Nearby County Sites
Photo is of the first Marion Co. courthouse located at present site in Hamilton (not the Pikeville ones-not sure if there was one or two at Pikeville). This photo was taken around l875 or l876. It was completed in l883, destroyed by fire in l887. Submitted 2/19/2003 by Sabra N. Sudberry
The following was Submitted by Joel Palmer & Belinda McRae
The first Marion County courthouse at Hamilton was destroyed by fire March 30, 1887. A special session of the Court of County Commissioners was called. The Honorable W. H. Matthews presided. W.T. Bishop, W.R. Hall and J.J. Kuykendall were the commissioners. They suggested a new courthouse be built of brick with a tin roof. It didn't work out that way though. Notice of the need was put out in the Marion Herald. The plans and specifications were adopted and bids were taken for building the new wood courthouse. J.C. Camp's bid of $ 3,750 was accepted. He was paid $ 1,000 up front. A bond for twice the amount of the bid with waivers had to be taken.
W.R. White, W.T. Gast and W.A. Hall were appointed as the building committee to supervise the building of the courthouse according to the "plans and specifications". One fourth of one percent was tagged on the state tax for assessed property in 1887. This was placed in a "courthouse building fund account".
J.C. Camp was allowed $ 25.00 to remove the rubbish from the courthouse square where the old courthouse had stood. W.D. Brown and sons were paid $ 27.00 for tax receipt books and abstract books to replace the ones destroyed in the fire. W.H. Matthews, Clerk of the court, was allowed $ 3.00 for one day's service. W.H. Bishop was allowed $ 4.20 for one day's service and 24 miles travel. W.R. Hall was paid $ 3.40 for one day's service and 8 miles travel. J.J. Kuykendall was paid $ 5.30 for one day's service and 46 miles travel.
Court was held in the lower room of Frasier's and Gast's store in Hamilton during the time the courthouse was being built. Grand Jury was held in the upper room of the jail. The Commissioners Court ordered the purchase of a fireproof safe from A.R. Gill, agent for Diabold Safe and Lock Company of Ohio for $ 500.00 with $ 250.00 paid in January 1888 and $ 250.00 bearing with 8% interest, paid off January 1889.
In 1900 the people decided to build a stone courthouse that would be less likely to burn. W.R. White and Thomas W. Wigginton were authorized by the court to move the old # 2 courthouse. R.W. Clark was paid $ 75.00 for two lots to put it on. Bids were accepted and a contract let to F.M. Dobson for the sum of $ 21,600.00 to be paid in five equal installments. Mr. Dobson was required to make a $ 10,000.00 bond and guarantee faithful performance of the contract. W.E. Spink was appointed supervisor of construction.
The contract issued to F.M. Dobson was transferred to the Alabama Jail and Bridge Company. A special courthouse tax was ordered by the court- 25 cents on every $ 100.00 worth of assessed property. In September 1901 the old courthouse was put up for sale. It was sold to R.E. Dunn for $ 350.00. J.W. Clark was paid $ 19.50 to move the fireproof safe to the new courthouse. A fire insurance policy was taken out on the new courthouse. The premium was $ 300.00 for three years. W.H. White was paid $ 30.00 for 60 chairs for the courthouse. T.V. Bondmon was paid $ 40.00 for the carpet. C. Nothington was apid $ 1.10 for installing a window shade. Fred Fite was allowed $ 5.00 for winding the clock for one year.
This information was taken from the Minutes of the Marion County Commissioners Court, Volumes I and II.
All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, or other electronic posting of any files/pages without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.
USGENWEB and/or ALGENWEB makes no claims as to the validity of the information contained in this site and visitors are advised that each new piece of information should be researched and proved or disproved by weight of documented evidence. It is always best to consult the original material for verification.
The information posted to this site is the sole work and property of the submitter and/or the transcriber and has not been altered nor verified by the webmaster of this site. An effort has been made to give credit to all submitters and all documents that have been transcribed by the webmaster, other volunteers, or other individuals that submit information for posting to the site.
©2002- 2009 by Allison M. Saxman & J.W. Johnson