USGenWeb logo
USGenWeb: AlGenWeb : County Index : Marion County
County Coordinators:  J. W. Johnson and Allison Saxman
Webmaster:  Allison Saxman

Area Family Reunions
Cemetery Records
Census Records
Church Records
County History
1891 Voters' Registration
Joel Palmer Stories
Land & Deed Records
Marion Newspaper Articles
Marion Co. Books
Marion Co. AL Tracks
Marion Genealogical Soc.
Marion Co. Images
Military Records
Misc Records
Mortality Schedules
Musgrove Store Ledger
Our Families Online
Other Links
Other Resources
Special Collections
Unidentified Photos
Vital Records
Wills & Probate Recs

Nearby County Sites

Fayette Co. ALGenWeb
Franklin Co. ALGenWeb
Lamar County ALGenWeb
Walker Co. ALGenWeb
Winston Co. ALGenWeb
Itawamba Co. MSGenWeb
Monroe Co. 2 MSGenWeb

US GenWeb Archives button

The Alabama AlGenWeb Archives

Shiloh Baptist Church


Articles from 1976 Journal-Register Newspaper

Shiloh Baptist Church

The Journal-Record - Bicentennial Edition
Thursday, July 1, 1976
Section A, Page 5


The group of pioneer citizens of Shiloh Community were from George and
South Carolina. They brought their church letters from Reed Creek in Hart
County, Georgia and Andersonville in Anderson, South Carolina. R. V DYAR
was the leader in the organization of Shiloh Baptist Church.

This group of men and women met in the Godsey log schoolhouse September 3,
1901 to organize Shiloh Baptist Church. Shiloh is located nine miles from
north of Hamilton in Marion County. The following charter members were
enrolled: G. W. PALMER, Susie PALMER, J. S. EVANS, Lou EVANS, Roxie HARPER,
and C. C. TERRY from Reed Creek Baptist Church in Hart County, Georgia.
Nettie DYAR, Janie DYAR, and Lucie FELTMAN from Anderson Baptist Church in
South Carolina.

At their first meeting R. V. DYAR was received by letter and as a deacon.
Rev. A. A. GAY was called as pastor and R. V. DYAR was elected clerk. The
name chosen was Shiloh. Delegates elected clerk. Delegates elected for the
Association were R. V. DYAR, G. W. PALMER, and J. S. EVANS. They met with
the Yellow Creek Association.

The Church Covenant and Articles of Faith were written. rules of Decorum
were established. These Articles and Rules were read to the church in
conference at least once a year.

Services were held regularly, each month, in the little log school-house.
Members met on Saturdays for conference, to attend to all business, and for
the reception of new members. All members were to live up to Christian
standards or be excluded. One requirement was to attend services and
conference or have a legal excuse. In the summer revival services were held
in a brush arbor.

G. W. PALMER and John T. HARPER gave the land to build the first church
building. The one room church was built in 1903 and 1904. This building was
used for thirty years. In 1934 and 1935 a better and larger wood building
was built with six class rooms. People in the church and community donated
material and labor. People were contacted to give money needed.

The Church adopted a budget system financing under the leadership of Rev.
A. M. NIX. In 1945 five hundred dollars was set aside as a building fund.
During the years of 1946-1950 several people planted an acre of cotton and
gave to this building fund. The church land was planted and worked by free
labor. On December 17, 1950, the ground breaking service for the present
brick building was conducted. Two charter members were living and one was
present at this meeting. Dedication services were conducted May 13, 1951.
Laying the corner stone was March 2, 1952. This brick building, with gas
heat, has nine class rooms for the teaching services.

Sunday School was part of the services in the log school-house in 1901. In
1934 the Cradle Roll and Home Department were added to the Sunday School.
Training Union for the Young People was as early as 1924. In 1934 the
Woman's Missionary Union was organized. In 1945 Shiloh held its first
Vacation Bible School by the help of a state worker. Each year since then a
Vacation Bible School has been held.

The cemetery at Shiloh has a history of its own. W. S. GODSEY gave the land
where the log school house stood for the cemetery. Later Elbert HARPER gave
more land to straighten the lines. The first recorded grave was 1901. Two
graves were there before the church was organized. The Church grounds and
cemetery have a good sod and is mowed regularly as a part of the church

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins.  Any commercial use, or other electronic posting of any files/pages without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.  All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions.  All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.

ALGenWeb is a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Send comments about the state project to: Richard White
Send comments about this page to:  Allison M. Saxman


USGENWEB and/or ALGENWEB makes no claims as to the validity of the information contained in this site and visitors are advised that each new piece of information should be researched and proved or disproved by weight of documented evidence. It is always best to consult the original material for verification.

The information posted to this site is the sole work and property of the submitter and/or the transcriber and has not been altered nor verified by the webmaster of this site. An effort has been made to give credit to all submitters and all documents that have been transcribed by the webmaster, other volunteers, or other individuals that submit information for posting to the site.

2002- 2009 by Allison M. Saxman & J.W. Johnson