Nearby County Sites
Articles from 1976 Journal-Register Newspaper
Oldest county church
The Journal-Record - Bicentennial Edition
Thursday, July 1, 1976
Section C, Page 3
OLDEST CHURCH OF MARION
Hepsiba is said to be the oldest church in the county. The Rev. Bob DUNCAN
preached a sermon there on its 105 anniversary in 1908. The church was torn
down several years ago and the members moved to other churches.
This church belonged to the Liberty Association of the Oiginal(sic) Order
of Baptist. The two other churches in this county belonging to this
association were: Lovejoy and Mount Joy. Other churches of this association
in Mississippi were: Marietta, New Ramah, and Ebinezar. Those in Franklin
County were Zions Rest and Bates Hill.
The following are some of those who preached and served as pastors at
Hepsiba: Henry CLARK, Bud STILL, James SUMNER, Wesley STIDHAM, John CARTER, Eli FREDERICK, Oscar HESTER, George STIDHAM, John GREEN, and R. C. DUNCAN.
SHOTTSVILLE METHODIST CHURCH
The first Shottsville church was made fro hewn logs. The roof was of
cypress boards and wooden pegs were used for nails. It was located about
two miles north of the present location and was called New Bethel. It was
about twenty-four feet by twenty-four feet with a door on each side. Church
services and school were held in the same building. The building was
erected sometime around 1840. In 1836 the REEDS and STONES moved here from South Carolina. John STONE may have been the first member. Early residents
were the EMERSONS, ROBINSONS, and SHOTTS. they came from Lawrence County and settled along Bull Mountain. The preacher was a circuit rider who
preached at different churches every day. John ARNOLD was a local preacher
who marked everyone off the church roll who had folks who went north after
the Civil War. John COWDEN was the preacher around 1892 and stayed in
Hamilton. Samuel REED was an early Class Leader.
The Shottsville Cemetery was started in 1840 with the grave of John Stone's
little daughter. His wife was buried there (sic) the church was moved to
its present location beside the cemetery. It was a frame house. The people
came to church in covered wagons drawn by steers. Some came from a long way
for the Saturday night service and would spend the night in their wagons to
be there for the Sunday service. Later many traveled by horseback. The
ladies had side saddles and riding skirts. There were places at the church
to tie the horses and blocks from which to mount.
In 1908, a singled, two-story house was built. It also served as a school
and an Odd Fellows Lodge. It was destroyed by fire and in 1936 the church
was built by Rev. HANCOCK that served until the present building was
All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, or other electronic posting of any files/pages without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.
USGENWEB and/or ALGENWEB makes no claims as to the validity of the information contained in this site and visitors are advised that each new piece of information should be researched and proved or disproved by weight of documented evidence. It is always best to consult the original material for verification.
The information posted to this site is the sole work and property of the submitter and/or the transcriber and has not been altered nor verified by the webmaster of this site. An effort has been made to give credit to all submitters and all documents that have been transcribed by the webmaster, other volunteers, or other individuals that submit information for posting to the site.
©2002- 2009 by Allison M. Saxman & J.W. Johnson