Jefferson County was established on December 13, 1819 by the Alabama legislature. It was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson. The county is located in the north-central portion of the state, on the southern extension of the Appalachians, in the center of the iron, coal and limestone belt of the South. Jefferson County is bordered by Blount, Bibb, St. Clair, Shelby, Tuscaloosa, and Walker counties. It encompasses 1,119 square miles (2,900 km2). The county seat was at Carrollsville from 1819-21, at Elyton from 1821-73, and since 1873 has been at Birmingham, which was named for England's iron and steel center in Warwickshire.


Jefferson County Coordinator: Jeff Kemp
Assistant County Coordinator: Denise Wells
ALGenWeb State Coordinator: Ann Allen Geoghegan
ALGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator: Jeff Kemp

 
       
     ęCopyright 2013-2015, ALGenWeb Project, All rights reserved
         Last Edited 11/22/14