Source: T Larry Smith, the Official Historian of Henry County
Curetons Bridge Post Office: in operation 1850-1904 (Harris)
The location for Cureton is where the Newville-Bertha road (#7) crosses state highway #27 (Abbeville to Ozark road), southwest of the
county seat of Abbeville.
The Henry County Historical Society placed a historical marker on the site in 1988. It reads: "The Cureton Bridge Post Office was established
here August 21, 1850. The first postmaster was James U. Cureton who served until 1852. John A. Wood became postmaster and continued in this
position until the office was discontinued in 1866. It was re-established July 21, 1870 with Daniel A. Wiggins as postmaster until 1880. The
next postmaster was Nancy Willis who served until the post office was discontinued on Sept 17, 1904 and moved to Capps Station. The mail
carrier at that time was Jackson Riley.
Cureton Bridge was an old settlement named for the Cureton family who settled here in the early 1820's. The village was located on the east
fork of the Chatawhatchee River in the western part of Henry County and the northeast of what later became the Center Community. William
Jackson Cureton, 1760-1832, was a native of Virginia who moved here about 1825. He constructed a private bridge across the Chatawhatchee River
one mile east of here which was the first to be built over this waterway."