|This ALGenWeb County is maintained by Ann Allen Geoghegan||Home | Contact Us | Search|
Land and Mapping
Tips for Research
About This Site
Walnut Grove Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery
Location: This cemetery is about one mile east of Haleburg in planted pines owned by the Great Northern Nekoosa Corporation, so it may be desecrated in planted pines.
This is the pioneer cemetery of Haleburg. It has been called the Skipper, Penuel, Sutton, McKissack, Walsworth and Blackshear Cemetery. It was possibly the cemetery that Randolph Blackshear (December 25, 1789-January 20, 1864) though his name is on the church roster of the Yatta Abbey (Abbie) Missionary Baptist Church known today as the Adoniram. There are about 50 graves marked with heavy soapstone for head pieces with a small stone for the foot piece. These stones are a match to those in the nearby Whetstone Creek that make Whetstone Falls on Whetstone Drive, Haleburg. There are only two inscriptions. It is believed to be the burial place of Frances Mouring Blackshear Allen, though her name too appears at Adoniram in antebellum days. And as you know there were several graves including Jonathan Hales and Moses Blackshear that were exhumed and reinterred in the Haleburg Cemetery after Thomas Grimsley was buried there in December 1894. Any death date prior to this in the Haleburg Cemetery once rested at Walnut Grave Church and Academy. According to the late Haleburg local historian Otis "Buck" Money, the Lower Smith's Ferry and Newton Road came by the location of the Walnut Grove Church and Academy (one structure).
|This Page was Created June 2008 | Last Modified Saturday, 29-Nov-2014 21:22:29 EST|