GEORGE E. TURRENTINE, Insurance Agent and Real Estate Broker, Gadsden, was born in this town April 17, 1857, and is a son of Daniel C. and Caroline E. (Lucy) Turrentine, natives, respectively, of Milledgeville, Ga., and Petersburg, Va.
The senior Mr. Turrentine was born in 1807; received a good education; was a merchant early in life; came to Alabama in 1842, and was the first settler and erected the first house ever built upon the site where now stands the flourishing city of Gadsden. A part of the house is still standing, and is located on the corner of Broad and First streets. It was built for a hotel and stage stand, and was the popular rendezvous and relay station for the early travelers between New Orleans and the capital of the United States. In addition to his hotel, Mr. Turrentine carried on a small mercantile business. He was also the first merchant in Gadsden, and was an active temperance organizer and influential politician. Mr. Turrentine was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and organized the first Sunday-school ever known in Etowah County.
He was also a prominent Mason, a general of militia in ante-bellum days, and participated in behalf of the South during the war between the States. He died in September, 1883, and his wife in July, 1881.
He reared a large family of children, several of whom survived him. One of his sons, William T., was killed in the Seven Days' Fight around Richmond; another son, James L., served through the war; Samuel M. is dead; Joshua L., D. C. Jr., George E. and Albert F. constitute the surviving male members of his family. Of his daughters, Catherine and Leila I. are dead; Josephine is the wife of R. O. Randall; Adelaide V. is the wife of A. Harris; Lillie A. is the wife of J. J. Anshutz; Minnie E. is the wife of N. N. Polk; Carrie L. is single.
George E. Turrentine was reared in Gadsden, where he received such education as was practicable before attaining the age of fourteen years. He began life after leaving school as a farmer, and to that and the teaching of school applied himself for several years. In 1883 he entered into his present business. He and his partner represent twenty-three large companies and carry about all the insurance of Gadsden.
Mr. Turrentine was appointed justice of the peace in 1883, resigned it in 1884, and was appointed notary public. He is a Mason, a member of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Source: McCalley, Henry, Northern Alabama : historical and biographical. Birmingham, AL: Smith & De Land, 1888, pp. 835.