WILLIAM HAGAN, born in Denmark, April 9, 1845, is a son of Carl Frederick and Elizabeth Hagan. He came to this country in 1863, landed at Quebec, going thence to Chicago, where he followed his trade (that of moulder) for several years. Soon after the late war he came South on a prospecting tour, and in 1872 located at Rome, Ga., and remained until 1879. In that year he came to Gadsden, where, in partnership with John Flynn, he established a small foundry and machine shop. In 1883, Mr. G.E. Line came into the firm, and they organized and established the Gadsden Foundry and Machine Works, with a capital stock of $10,000. This was the first iron working concern started at Gadsden, and the success of the enterprise has been even greater than its founders ever expected.
Messrs. Hagan & Flynn purchased Line's interest in the foundry and machine works in March, 1887, and are now its exclusive owners.
Mr. Hagan was married in September, 1872, at Rome, Ga., to Miss Jennie Martin, and their two children are named, respectively, Daisy and Frederick. Mr. and Mrs. Hagan are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Hagan is a member of the Knights of Honor and Knights of Pythias.
Source: McCalley, Henry, Northern Alabama : historical and biographical. Birmingham, AL: Smith & De Land, 1888, pp. 835.