THE SANFORD FAMILY
Probably the most noted homestead in this section of the state is the old Sanford house, in Green County, a few miles east of Greensboro.
It has been owned, and occupied by some member of the family for the past one hundred and sixteen years.
Jeremiah Sanford, a soldier of the Revolution and a personal friend of Washington, came from Virginia to Georgia in 1800, bringing with him several
grown sons. They bought land on the outskirts of Greensboro and settled where the Sanford house was built, in 1816. The material for its
construction was hauled from the vicinity of Milledgeville in wagons, a distance of forty-four miles.
Jeremiah and Ada Palmer Sanford removed from Loudon County, Virginia, to Hancock County, Georgia, about the year 1800 or
1811. Both of them became members of the Baptist Church, at Island Creek.
They had three sons, two of whom are dead, and six daughters, one of whom is dead. All of those living are consistent members of the Baptist church.
All of these daughters have been married, two of them having lost three husbands.
The oldest, Mrs. Mary Peek, lives in Hancock County, Georgia, aged seventy-two years. Mrs. E. P. Peek lives in Green County, Georgia, aged
sixty-seven years. Mrs. P. Gary, lives in Coosa county, Ala., aged sixty-five years. Mrs. M. W. Greene lives in LaGrange, Georgia, aged sixty-three.
Mrs. C. C. Respass lives in Eatonton, Georgia, aged fifty-five.
All of these sisters met recently at the home of P. H. Greene, in good health and spirits, to spend several weeks together in peace and harmony, as
they have ever lived, always preferring each others peace and happiness to their own.
The writer of this short sketch, whose acquaintance has extended, over a space of thirty or forty years, has never heard of a single harsh or unkind:
word spoken to, or of, each other. They never call each other's names without saying sister. The meeting of five sisters, at their advanced age, at one place, is an
incident that seldom occurs, and this, in. all probability, will never occur again. Mr. Prophet, the celebrated artist of La Grange, has taken the likeness of these sisters,
together with the writer, in the group.
No family in the State has been more distinguished for the number of pious and useful members it has furnished to the State than the Sanford family, and the influence
which they have exercised, and are still exercising, of good, can be known fully, only when the secrets of all hearts shall be revealed. "Happy the hearts where graces reign,
where love inspires the breast.
One of this family has filled the Chair of Mathematics, at Mercer University, for more than thirty years, and is now preparing a series of "arithmetics which will probably
supersede all others in the South.
Judge D. B. Sanford secured his purely academic education in a high school in Greensboro, and at the age of 20 was appointed deputy clerk, of the supreme Court of the State,
taking up his residence in Milledgeville, then the Capital.
He was appointed to this office in 1859~ and was the incumbent at the time of the outbreak of the War between the States. He at once resigned the position to go forth in defense
of the cause of the Confederacy. He returned to Green County and assisted in the organization of the "Green Rifles," which organization was mustered into the Confederate service
as Company" A" Phillips Legion, of Georgia Infantry. He enlisted as private and was several times promoted, finally being made Captain of his company.
In the battle of Sailor's Creek, Va., while in command of his company, he was wounded, 'captured by the enemy, and taken to Washington,. D. C., where he remained until the close
of the war; his exchange being effected in July, 1865. He took part in a large number of important battles, besides skirmishes and other small minor engagements, making a record
for gallant and faithful service. At the close of the war, Judge Sanford returned to Milledgeville, where, in Oct., 1865, he was chosen enrolling clerk, of the first State Convention, held
after the War.
This Convention drafted, and adopted a new constitution for the commonwealth. He remained in Milledgeville, where he took up law, under effective preceptor ship, and was admitted
to the Bar in 1866. From that time, he was numbered among the representative lawyers of Milledgeville and Baldwin County, having distinctive professional precedence and being fortified
by broad and exact knowledge of the intricacies of jurisprudence. In 1873, he was chosen Judge of the Court of Ordinary, of Baldwin County, and continued in this office until 1891, a
period of 18 years. He was Chairman of the board of G. M. C., Vice President of the Milledgeville Banking Co., of whose board of directors he had been a member since its organization,
as the oldest banking institution of the town, in 1889. He was always affiliated with the Confederate Veterans. On Jan. 8, 1868, he was married to Elizabeth Stetson, who came from the
city of Boston, Mass. in 1840.
Judge Sanford died April 11, 1912.
Daniel B. Stetson came to Milledgeville in 1842, became a merchant and trader, developing an enormous mercantile business, corresponding with the department stores of today.
He was largely engaged in buying cotton of the planters in exchange for supplies; and in absence of railroad facilities, it is said his couriers were constantly riding between Milledgeville,
Savannah, Mobile, and New Orleans.
At one time he was Judge of the Superior Court. He was a prominent member of the Baptist Church. He enjoyed a reputation for honesty and fair dealings, and' was ever ready to assist others. Two prominent business men of Milledgeville affirm they owe their success in life to the assistance, received long ago, from Daniel B. Stetson.
The oldest son, William, enlisted in the Southern Army at the age of 17. Afterwards, he became a cotton merchant at Savannah. He afterward moved to Jacksonville, Florida, where he died in 1914. The second son, James Daniel, also served in the Southern Army in 1864 and 1865. On his return, he live in Hawkinsville, Ga., afterward moving to Macon.
Elizabeth, only daughter, married D. B. Sanford, in 1868.
Daniel B. Stetson was a slave holder and his slaves remained loyal to him during the war. He died before his sons returned from the war, and is buried in Milledgeville.
Transcribed by Margie A. Daniels
Source History of Baldwin County
Mrs. Anna Marie Green Cook