Oakachoy covered bridge
County was created in 1832 from lands ceded in the Creek Indian
and from parts of Montgomery county.
Hernando DeSoto was probably the first white man to visit what is now Coosa County.
is named for the Coosa River which
forms the county's western boundary. The word 'Coosa' is believed to mean
in the Alibama-Kossati Indian dialect. A site on Albert Crumpler's plantation on Hatchemalega Creek was chosen as the county
seat and given the name Lexington. In 1835 the name was changed to Rockford.
The county seat is Rockford which was originally named Pondalassa.
Places of interest include: Hatchet Creek which is known for its beds of Cahaba Lily
Old Rock Jail in Rockford, and the Oakachoy covered bridge, pictured above.
|search engine by freefind|
Goodwater, Equality, Kellyton, & Weogufka
©2014 - Present
All Rights Reserved