Conecuh County was created by the Alabama Territorial
legislature on February 13, 1818. Conecuh is from the Indian word for
"land of cane".
The County was formed from
Monroe County, AL and included
all of today's
Houston, and some of
The county seat was at Sparta from 1818
until 1868, when it was moved to Evergreen. Other towns and communities
include Castleberry, Lenox, and Repton.
Conecuh County lost land to Butler and
Henry counties in 1819 and some
Escambia County in 1868.
By 1887 Conecuh County was at its present size and shape. What started as
8100 square miles is today about 850 square miles. As of 1990 the county
population was approximately 14,100.
Evergreen is the county's largest city and
serves as the county seat. The selection of records at the Courthouse is
limited because of two fires in the mid to late 1800's. However, they should
have later records of Probates and marriages.