JAMES H. SIMPSON was born on June 26, 1832, in Lincoln County, Tenn. and is a son of Sol. P. and Lucinda (Conway) Simpson. He was reared on a farm, where he received a good English education, and at the age of sixteen years began teaching school, at the same time advancing his own studies. He taught school for about fifteen years, then entered a store at Barton Station as salesman and book-keeper.

In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in Captain Julianís command, under Colonel Roddy; served as orderly sergeant one year in Capt. Julianís command; was then transferred to Colonel Forrestís regiment, where he served three years in the ordinance department, after which he was discharged from the service. He returned home, taught school, and in 1865 came to Tuscumbia, where he entered the wholesale and retail grocery business under the firm name of Inman, Simpson & Co. The firm changed hands several times, and in 1875 Mr. Simpson sold out his interest.

In 1876 he resumed teaching, which he followed for about one year, when he was elected tax assessor of Colbert County, which office he held seven years. In July, 1887, he was appointed clerk of the circuit court, to fill out an unexpired term. Mr. Simpson was first married January 25, 1853, to Miss Ada White. She died in February, 1854, leaving one child. In October, 1860, Mr. Simpson was married to Sue E. Gibbs, daughter of John and Mary (Mason) Gibbs, and to this union six children were born. She died in October, 1872, and his present wife was a Miss Sally C. Gibbs, who has born him four children. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Simpson is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and Knights of Honor. He has served as secretary of the board of aldermen of Tuscumbia, and takes a wide-spread interest in the development of his city and that section of the country.

Mr. Simpsonís father was born in Union District, S. C., in the year 1805. When a young man he moved to Lincoln County, Tenn., where he was engaged at farming. He served in the Florida War, and in 1850 located on a plantation about ten miles from Florence, Ala. He next moved to Lawrence County, Ala., where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1875. He was a son of Edwin Simpson, who was born in Ireland and migrated to America during colonial days, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.

The mother of our subject was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., and was a daughter of Frederick and Winnie Conway, natives of Georgia.

[SOURCE: Northern Alabama Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Smith and De Land, Birmingham, Ala. 1888., p. 440] Typed for inclusion here by Linda Ledlow.

Return to Biographies