COLBERT COUNTY, ALABAMA
GUIDE LUEDDEMANN, of the firm of Lueddemann & Co.,
dealers in fancy dry goods, silks, etc., Tuscumbia, Ala., was born in Erfurt,
Germany, and is a son of Frederick A. and Christiana (Linsdorff) Lueddemann.
The senior Mr. L., an officer of the Prussian army, came to America in 1847, locating in Ohio, and later on at Milwaukee, Wis.
The subject of this sketch engaged in mercantile business when a young man, and in 1864, loca-located [sic] in Nashville, Tenn.
In the succeeding year, he came to Tuscumbia, where he formed a partnership with H. Leiforth, and was engaged in the dry goods business until 1868. In that year Mr. Leiforth withdrew, and was succeeded by James N. Sampson, of New York, under the style and firm name of Lueddemann & Co. This is now the oldest establishment of the kind in the city, and is the leading dry goods house of Colbert County. Their business has steadily increased from the very beginning, until it has assumed vast proportions, and they have now erected a large building in order to facilitate their rapidly increasing trade. They were the first merchants in that city to introduce lady clerks.
Mr. Lueddemann was married to Johanna Chisholm, of Nashville, and this union has been blessed with four children, viz.: Frederick, Max, Ernest, and Frieda. Mrs. Lueddemann is a member of the Christian Church, and Mr. Lueddemann is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and Knights of Pythias.
[SOURCE: Northern Alabama Historical and Biographical.
Illustrated. Smith and De Land, Birmingham, Ala. 1888., p. 440-1.] Typed for
inclusion here by Linda Ledlow.
Return to Biographies