History of Choctaw County, Alabama

Choctaw County was created from territory taken from Sumter and Washington counties by the Alabama legislature on Dec. 29, 1847. Butler is the county seat.

Choctaw County is one of Alabama's largest counties in area (911 square miles) and the smallest in population (16,589 in 1970).

The first Census for Choctaw, 1850, lists many occupations: wagon maker, school teacher, carpenter, farmer, physician, river boat pilot, attorney, planter, blacksmith, clerk, painter, merchant, grocer, shoemaker, miller, laborer, brick mason, mechanic, architect, undertaker, clergyman and timber agent.

The early pioneers of Choctaw came from France, Ireland and Scotland, but mostly from North and South Carolina.

In the 1850 census, census taker, A. L. Grayson, listed the total population as 8,389: 2,451 white males and 2,169 white females, and 3,769 blacks who were not listed by name.

Choctaw's population reached its peak in the 1920's because of such companies as E. E. Jackson Lumber Company in Riderwood and Choctaw Lumber Company in Bolinger. After the sawmills closed, Choctaw began a decline in population that has continued until today.

In spite of the decline in population, the quality of life in Choctaw has improved each year. Choctaw is a leading pulpwood producer in the South and the nation. Agriculture, cattle farming, and catfish farming are also an important part of Choctaw county life and economics.

Federal Census Records, Choctaw County, AL

1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930

  Back to Choctaw County GenWeb Page