Chilton County was created by act of the Alabama legislature
on 30 December 1868 from land taken from Autauga,
counties. Originally named Baker County, in honor of Alfred Baker,
a prominent citizen, it was renamed Chilton in honor of Chief Justice
William Parish Chilton on 17 December 1874. According to the 2010 U S
Census, the population was 43,643 in a land area of 695 square miles,
an average of about 63 people per square mile. The
county seat is located at Clanton. Neighboring Chilton is
County to the East with the Coosa River as the boundary. A corner of Chilton
and Elmore Counties
meet and families can be found there with ties to Chilton.
Send comments or questions about this Chilton County
site or research on this county to Derric Scott.
is part of the USGenWeb Project.
ALGenWeb State Coordinator:
Ann Allen Geoghegan
ALGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator:
Last updated:Saturday, 24 Nov 2012