The Calhoun County Courthouse is a historic county courthouse in Anniston, Alabama. It was designed by Atlanta architect J. W. Golucke and built in 1900, when the county seat of Calhoun County was moved from Jacksonville.
 
It is one of the earliest Neoclassical courthouses in Alabama.  An annex with a jail was added on the north side of the building in 1924. The courthouse was rebuilt after a 1931 fire, albeit with a slightly different clock tower.   A southeastern annex was built in 1963.
 
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985
 
Description
 
The imposing Renaissance Revival style building, located on the northwest corner of Eleventh Street and Gurnee Avenue, is a two-story brick structure set on a roughhewn stone raised basement. Above, the first floor is rusticated and has flat-arch windows with stone lintels and raised keystones. The second floor has a smooth brick face with arched windows capped by stone moldings and raised keystones.
 
The upper floor is articulated by a series of Corinthian pilasters with brick shafts and stone caps and bases, carrying a full entablature with denticulated cornice. Each floor is separated by a stone belt course. The projecting pedimented central pavilion is articulated by three heavy arches in the entrance loggia forming the first floor. The rusticated piers have Composite capitals that serve as impost blocks from which the arches spring. The pediment is embellished with an eagle medallion flanked by fasces and cornucopias.
 
The courthouse is capped by a clock tower reconstructed after a 1931 fire with an ogee cupola crowned by a ball and weather vane. The double door of the entrance has original sidelights and rectangular transom lights above with attenuated colonnettes separating the door and sidelights.
 
The interior was renovated following the 1931 fire which destroyed most of the tower supports and caused the original tower to fall through the roof to the basement. The entrance foyer, cruciform in shape, is embellished with a tessellated tile floor, paneled pilasters, capped by Composite capitals with an applied palmette motif, a coffered ceiling, and a cornice with acanthus leaf modillions. A branching stairway at the north end opposite the door has marble treads and wainscoting, and a wrought-iron railing capped by a molded wood handrail.
 
An outstanding architectural feature is the main doorways on the first floor, which are surrounded by a handsome classical architrave and crowned by a broken pediment resting on paired consoles and embellished by a pineapple finial atop a fluted plinth. Upstairs, courtrooms on either side of the central hall are entered through paneled doorways framed by an architrave and capped by a denticulated triangular pediment above a frieze.
 
A contributing annex was added to the north side of the building in 1924 and subsequent additions to this annex were made in 1941 and 1953. A one-story windowless, non-contributing addition was made to the southeast corner of the courthouse building in 1963.
 
Historical Summary
 
The Calhoun County Courthouse was moved to Anniston in 1900 from Jacksonville, which had been the courthouse site since the county was created in December 1832.
 
Removal was the subject of a long and heated debate which began in 1883 when Anniston opened to the public and culminated in an election in April 1899. After almost a year of litigation instigated by Jacksonville, the losing town, the Alabama Supreme Court finally decided in favor of Anniston in June 1900. The Calhoun County Commission selected plans in August 1900, and the cornerstone for the $150,000 structure was laid on November 15, 1900.
 
In 1924 an addition which houses the Calhoun County jail was made to the north side of the building. Additions were made to this annex in 1941 and 1953 and in 1963 a modern addition was made to the southeast corner of the courthouse building.

Back

This page was last updated April 25, 2016.

2010-2016 by the Calhoun County Coordinator for the ALGenWeb Project