The History of Blountsville Baptist Church

Submitted by: Billie Ann Standridge, Church Historian

The earliest known record of the Blountsville Baptist Church is a deed, dated July 26, 1859, made by the executors of the estate of John Fowler. This deed grants "rights and title" to the lot of land where on the meeting house of the aforesaid Baptist Church in said town now stands. The deed states that this land and building were given by John Fowler in his lifetime to the Baptist Church to occupy the basement floor and the Masonic Lodge to occupy the upper floor. John Fowler died in 1849 so it is assumed this church was meeting prior to 1849. The property is where the Masonic Lodge now stands. It was deeded to the lodge in 1903.

Minutes from the Warrior River Baptist Asssociation in 1893 and 1894 show the pastor at Blountsville to be H. W. Head and the church clerk was C. Turner. The Warrior River Baptist Association was organized about 1858 and in 1906 the name was changed to Blount County Baptist Association. Minutes from 1900 show W. H. Absher as pastor with R. B. Sims as church clerk. The church had 89 members.

About 1903-1905 the church was moved across to the opposite corner where the building was built that had the double front stairs. The stairs caused problems because it was very difficult to carry a casket into the church. Another problem was the fact that water rose in the basement. However, the church remained on that location for about fifty years.

During that time many important things occurred in the life of the church. The first annual session of the Blount County Women's Missionary Union was held at Blountsville Baptist Church in 1912. Blountsville appears to have begun having two preaching Sunday's per month about 1912. Sometime after 1940, the church employed a full time minister. In 1927 the church adopted the BYPU and the Co-operative program. In November 1922 a committee was appointed to have electric lights installed in the building.

In March 1950 a building committee was appointed to make plans for a new building. By 1952 the church had begun a building fund by "membership canvass," raising, picking and selling cotton, programs and dinners. The church moved into the new building April 22, 1956. It had been constructed at a cost of $70,000 but only $20,000 was owed at the time of completion. Much volunteer labor was used in the actual construction.

In 1956 the Blount County Baptist Association split and the Friendship Missionary Baptist Association was formed. Blountsville Baptist Church was an active participant in the new association. Indeed the first annual meeting of the Friendship Association was held at Blountsville Baptist Church in September 1956. The organizational meeting had been held at Cleveland Baptist Church on November 29, 1955.

On September 28, 1991 ground was broken for a new addition to our building, including kitchen, dining room, restrooms and Sunday school space upstairs. This portion was completed at a cost of $175,000 and the church remains debt free. Many members of the church gave generously of their time and money to make this possible. A great amount of the labor was done by volunteers and the furniture and appliances in the kitchen and dining room were donated by various members and friends of the church. The building was completed in May of 1992.

In the summer of 1993 shrubbery was donated and major yard work was done, again, by volunteers. At that same time the front and back parking lots were paved. For this the church borrowed $15,000.

At the time of the annual report in 1993, Blountsville Baptist Church has 341 resident members and an annual budget of approximately $92,000. The deacons are James Cook, chairman, Bobby Aycock, Howard Arnold, James B. Brindley, James Lee Brindley, Paul Dial, Carey Heptinstall, Arlin Neal, Allen Neel, Bill Nichols, James Settle, R. J. Smith, Donald Standridge and Kenneth Wright.


1893 - 1894

H. W. Head


W. H. Absher

1901 - 1904

F. Tidwell

1908 - 1909

W. J. Nash

1910 - 1912

D. E. Head

1913 - 1915

J. E. Lowery


Jesse Nation

1917 - 1919

W. W. Adams


J. T. Whittaker


E. O. Thompson


T. N. Martin

1924 - 1925

S. F. Reid

1925 - 1927

W. J. Nash

1928 - 1931

J. A. Smallwood

1932 - 1933

C. B. Phillips


H. M. Layman

1936 - 1937

E. J. Isenhower

1938 - 1939

J. A. Smallwood


H. W. Cobb

1942 - 1943

W. P. Wilks

1944 - 1947

A. G. Henbree

1951 - 1954

J. W. Phillips

1954 - 1956

E. C. Glenn

1956 - 1963

Joel C. Oswalt

1963 - 1964

Clayton R. Lee

1964 - 1979

W. M. (Max) Todd

1981 - 1983

Steve Corry

1984 - 1986

Michael R. Martin

1987 - 1990

Marion B. Puryear

1991 - Present

Greg Lyles