My Gentry Family
submitted by Judith Carver
1860 Census for Shelby County Alabama
GENTRY, James (M) age 45 farming, Value of Real Estate $500 Value of Personal estate $150 Place of
birth: Alabama (direct line of Judith CARVER HOLT)
Elizabeth (WHITE) (F) 42 house keeping Alabama
(1) A. J. (M) 19 Alabama
(2) W.H. (M) 17 Alabama
(3) Alfred Hudson (M) 16 Alabama (direct line of Judith CARVER HOLT)
(4) Columbus W. (M) 14 Alabama
(5) Mary A. (F) 9 Alabama
(6) Sarah E. (F) 7 Alabama
(7) Albert M. (M) 3 Alabama
(8) Masoury A. (F) 3/12 Alabama
Columbus W. GENTRY, fourth born child, listed on 1870 Bibb County census as wagon driver.
Alfred Hudson GENTRY, third born child of James and Elizabeth, married Emilee M. SHAW, daughter of
Saunders SHAW and Elizabeth HENDERSON, on 19 September 1865, in Shelby County, Alabama. They had the
(1) Emily E. (F) b: abt 1866 Alabama
(2) Mary Ann (F) b: abt 1868 Alabama (direct line of Judith CARVER HOLT)
(3) Sarah T. (F) b: abt 1870 Alabama
(4) James S. (M) b: abt 1871 Alabama
(5) John T. (M) b: abt 1872 Alabama
(6) William W. (M) b: abt 1875 Alabama
(7) Patrick (M) b: abt 1878 Alabama
Alfred Hudson and Emilee M. GENTRY both buried in the Mount Carmel Cemetery, West Blocton, Bibb, Alabama.
Alfred Hudson was listed as a Justice of the Peace in a book, Alabama Records, by Jones & Gandrud.
He lived in West Blocton. Bibb, Al when he applied for admission to The Confederate Soldiers Home of
Alabama, Mountain Creek, in Chilton County, Alabama, when he was 78 years old. His wife, Emilee was
already dead at that time and he had nobody to take care of him. He states that he has become too feeble
to care for himself.
Alfred Hudson enlisted in the Confederate Army the 22 day of October 1861. He was a member of Company
H of the 24th Alabama Regiment. He was paroled at Bentonville, North Carolina, April 1865. He served
under a Colonel DAVIS, Captain SHORT and First Lieutenant PEARCE.
The actual value of property owned by Alfred Hudson, was listed as $1,800. He had a house and lot in
West Blocton, Bibb, Alabama. He belonged to a Camp of United Confederate Veterans called Clayton.
The second born child of Alfred Hudson and Emilee GENTRY was Mary Ann. She married Henry Franklin
FORTENBERRY, 21 August 1886, Shelby County, Alabama. He was the son of Henry FORTENBERRY and Sarah Jane
CLARK. Mary Ann and Henry Franklin's children were:
(1) Myrtle Irene (F) b: August 1887 Alabama d: 1922 m: Leslie W. PETERS
(2) Emily Elizabeth (F) b: 07 February 1889 Alabama d: 04 October 1958 m: John Allen GALLOWAY
(3) Alfred Hudson (M) b: 27 March 1890 Alabama d: 03 June 1956 m: wife # 1, Ludie M. HOLSOMBACK
(direct line of Judith CARVER HOLT); m: wife #2 Verna Viola HONEYCUTT
(4) Eva May (F) b: July 1891 Alabama d: unk m: Arthur STACKS
(5) Rosa Lee (F) b: 06 January 1893 Alabama d: 03 July 1947 m: Thomas Jefferson SUMNER
(6) Lillian A. (F) b: 13 July 1895 Alabama d: 19 December 1979 m: Amedo Joe STIGNANI
(7) John F. (M) b: 31 March 1898 Alabama d: 08 July 1978 m: wife # 1 Beulah MYERS Wife # 2 Fannie
The third born child of Mary Ann and Henry Franklin FORTENBERRY was named for his maternal grandfather.
He was named Alfred Hudson. Alfred married Ludie M. HOLSOMBACK, 24 May 1911, in Shelby County, Alabama.
She was born 26 March 1896, Shelby County, Alabama, d: 15 April 1917 from food poisoning/ dysentery.
She was the daughter of Marion Franklin HOLSOMBACK and Martha Ann JARVIS. Alfred Hudson and Ludie are
buried in the Macedonia Cemetery, Pea Ridge, Shelby, Alabama. Alfred Hudson and Ludie had the
(1) Alfred Hudson, Jr (M) b: 06 November 1912 Alabama d: 30 April 1917 buried Macedonia Cemetery, Pea
Ridge, Shelby, Alabama
(2) John Franklin (M) b: 04 June 1914 Alanbama d: as infant buried: unk
(3) Eunice (F) b: probably abt 1915/ mix-up on birth dates due to the unknown existence of child # 2
which was only discovered within about a year ago. The date of 04 June 1914 was mistakenly thought to
be hers. d: 02 January 1970 buried Jefferson Memorial Gardens South, Hoover, Jefferson, Alabama m:
Herdman Len CARVER (direct line of Judith CARVER HOLT)
(4) Myrtle Lynn (F) b: 05 January 1917 Alabama d: 02 January 1997 buried: Macedonia Cemetery, Pea Ridge,
Shelby, Alabama m: Vester Lee SEAGLE
Add your text here